Friday, September 16, 2011

Tuna salad SALAD

I quit eating tuna for many reasons some time ago. The fishing practices, the mercury, and the BPA in the cans are the main reasons. Well I found wild caught tuna in BPA free cans that was tested for mercury levels, so I brought some home. My husband beat me to them and I couldn't be more pleased...

A couple of weeks ago I made my own mayonnaise and added chipotle powder to it as a taste experiment. I also added a couple of teaspoons of honey and a little lemon juice. Maybe I'll use lime next time. Anyway I used this chipotle mayo to make deviled eggs and loved it! I also used it in my potato salad that week and was equally pleased with that flavor combo. I made a lot of it so there was still some left.

This time my husband used the last of the chipotle mayo with the tuna I brought home. But instead of making your typical tuna salad he made the most delicious entree!

Tuna salad with chipotle mayo:
Mix together about 1/2 cup of a home made or organic mayonnaise, two teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice and chipotle powder to taste - feel free to substitute another seasoning - have fun, experiment! Mix with tuna and if you have extra mayo use it for something else.

On dinner plates arrange (all organic of course) lettuce leaves of choice, thinly sliced onions, grape tomatoes or sliced tomatoes, cucumber slices and whatever other salad ingredients you wish to add - sprouts would be terrific! Drizzle salad dressing or a balsamic vinaigrette of choice over the salad. Fry two free range eggs per person to your preference and lay on top of each salad. Top with a large spoonful of the flavored tuna salad.

This looked almost too beautiful to eat when my husband served it, but I managed to eat every morsel somehow... Yum! I love when he gets a new idea for dinner!

Happy and Healthy living to all!
Grow Foods Market

No comments:

Post a Comment