Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mom to the rescue again! - Black Bean lentil soup

So I started an internal cleanse this week. It's a regimen of various herbs and extracts to cleanse the body of parasites, cleanse the liver, kidneys, lymph system, lungs, skin etc. It isn't a difficult thing to do but I do need to be more strict with my diet to get the best results.

I was talking to my mom about what I was doing and she gave me another wonderful gem, a black bean and lentil pureed soup. Just what I needed right now. Thanks Mom!

I actually started boiling the carcass of a turkey three days ago from the turkey I baked last weekend. Of course it was a free-range organically raised turkey and it was fantastic! A free range chicken would do just as well, naturally.

My mom reminded me to add vinegar to the water when I boiled the bones to draw out the gelatin and collagen. I have a very large stock pot so I am making about 2 gallons of turkey stock. I added a whole onion chopped, 6 or 8 cloves of garlic and three stalks of celery to it yesterday. I will freeze what I don't use in my soup today.

Now I am soaking black beans and lentils for an hour.
Here are the ingredients (I use all organic ingredients)  -

1 lb black beans and 1/2 pound of lentils. - soaked overnight or cooked in 4 inches of water just to a boil, then cover and soak for an hour.
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery coarsely chopped
8 cloves of garlic- coarsely chopped
Lemon Pepper, or Garlic pepper or all purpose seasoning to taste - (any seasoning that you would like really these are just my suggestions)
2 teaspoons crushed hot red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
1 TBSP Himalayan Pink Sea Salt - or to taste
12 - 16 cups home made turkey or chicken stock

Once the beans are soaked, drain and cook in 12 cups stock until tender. At the same time cook the chopped veggies in 4 cups stock until tender and add to the beans when they are done and add seasoning.
( I really don't see why you can't just cook the veggies with the beans. Feel free to do so!)  Pour in batches into a food processor or Vitamix type machine and puree until smooth. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt (home made is the best of course!)

Cleansing the body of toxins is challenging but very rewarding to your health. It brings the body into balance and make it easier to get and stay healthy. It helps clear up health issues caused by poor eating habits or medications. Once a cleanse is finished if you can change your diet to keep toxins out of your body as much as possible the rewards will last you for many years of good health! I encourage everyone to try an internal cleanse some time in their life. Do a search for internal cleanse and find one you like. I love the one from a site called blessed herbs.

Healthy and happy living to all!
Grow Foods Market






3 comments:

  1. I love my bean soup to have a real kick to it. I made this hot enough to make my nose run. Make yours as hot or mild as you prefer of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using vinegar in the stock is to drawn the Calcium out of the bones, not the collagen- sorry.

    ReplyDelete