Friday, September 2, 2011

How to avoid GMO Foods

I realised after my last post that I did not provide any information on how to actually avoid GMO foods! So here are my suggestions.

1. Avoid the BIG FIVE. The largest number of crops that are grown from GMO seed are soy, corn, cotton, sugar beets and canola. Read ingredients and don't buy anything with these products. And be careful because that means avoiding soy lecithin, cottonseed oil, canola oil and all corn products including corn syrup, corn oil, corn meal, corn sugar, and of course high fructose corn syrup. This pretty much illiminates ALL processed foods, I know! Trust me, your body will thank you!

2. Buy and eat ONLY certified organic foods. The only exception I make to this is if I know the farmer and they are not certified because they can't afford the certification, but I know they use heirloom seed (no GMO) and no pesticides. This includes meat by the way. Remember, what they eat YOU eat in their meat. Buy only organically raised meats and grass-fed only beef, lamb or buffalo. - My husband spoke to a woman at market this week who told him the buffalo she was buying and he called the company. Guess what? They GRAIN FEED their buffalo and admitted to him they use GMO corn! So much for healthy buffalo meat huh? Always find out what your suppliers feed their animals. Stay informed!

3. Don't eat anything sold in a box, can or bag unless it says "certified organic" on the package. "All natural" means absolutely nothing when it comes to GMO.

4. Don't eat at restaurants of any kind unless they use certified organic ingredients and say so on the menu.

5. Make your own food so you know what is in it and what is NOT in it! Use only organically grown ingredients of course!

Follow these guidelines and your diet will be GMO free. Check out the non-GMO shopping guide if you need more information:

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/shopping-guide.html

I don't believe in participating in my own demise if I can possibly help it. Remember, we are NOT lab experiments unless we choose to be. I choose not to be a GMO lab experiment!

Happy and healthy living to all!
Grow Foods Market

No comments:

Post a Comment