Friday, December 9, 2011

Healthy Holiday Meals make Healthy Leftovers!

I am supremely thankful for recipes I gleaned from Maximized Living web sites and inspiration for some of my own as a result for our last Holiday meal. We ate at a friends on Thanksgiving day and that was a challenge for me, as you can imagine. But I made the best of it.

I brought a 100% organic healthy guacamole dip and served it with organic veggies for an appetizer (it was devoured of course). I also brought a flourless sugarless pumpkin pie for myself (sweetened with stevia) so I wouldn't feel deprived when dessert time came around. I ate lamb and organic veggies and an organic salad the hostess made (Yay!) and skipped all the rest. I was satisified and went home not feeling like I had missed anything and the next morning was a pound lighter while everyone else had gained a few pounds!

But no leftovers of course. SO,  Saturday I made my own herbed non-stuffed free-range turkey, partnered that with garlic faux potatoes (recipe in previous blog), steamed organic yellow squash and green beans with pumpkin muffins (no flour, recipe maximized living) and a salad. No guilt, no weight gain and lots of leftovers I could continue to eat guilt-free until gone!

I then took the gizzards and neck and bones from my turkey, simmered them with some vinegar, onions, celery and garlic for three days on the lowest heat  and made a delightful, delicious turkey soup. I put all non-starch veggies in the soup and it was wonderful! I used butternut squash, cubed, instead of potatoes, included beans, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini and LOTS of mushrooms. With the drippings from the pan of my herbed turkey which I included in the broth I made, the soup was amazing! And now I have plenty of broth as well for future use.

I am truly enjoying eating more healthily and the energy that brings as well as the weight loss and health benefits. I wish you all a Happy and Healthy Holiday season!

Happy and Healthy Living to all!
Grow Foods Market

No comments:

Post a Comment